Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Explanation

So it dawned on me that I should probably explain the origins of the name Apotrope Alehouse.  Well, here's the deal:

Bit of background for you... I for years have been thinking up fun names for beers or brewpubs because let's face it, it has always been a fun and welcome distraction.  I in fact even submitted the name Apotrope Ale to the beeradvocate "name the beer" competition they had... but had unfortunately not read the rules entirely and submitted that with a few other names as well more than likely disqualifying myself.

I generally get annoyed at the lack of creativity and originality in beer naming, but over the past couple years some breweries have really been doing a fantastic job with awesome artwork and fun naming conventions (a la Southern Tier as a quick example).

So, why Apotrope?

In ancient greek times, when citizens would drink they would usually paint pictures of the evil eye on their drinking vessels for good luck and to help ward away evil spirits.  The evil eye, also known as the apotropaic eye, is a symbol of good luck, and hence, an apotrope (generally seen as a good luck charm).   

With that in mind, I thought it could lead to great stories to tell about a beer, and a phenomenal logo/tap handle/naming convention system.  Everyone loves a good story, and an evil eye design for a logo is something I've considered using a pint glass as the iris or a hop flower (clearly... that's just in my head.  I have no art skill.   We have friends with art skills.  Yay friends!!) With the help of some more friends (Brad and I know people, we're kind of a big deal and have many leather bound books) just tossing out names we've already come up with potential ideas such as Rabbits Foot Red, Lucky 13 Lager, Pragmatic's Porter, and my personal favorite, the Knock on Wood series for anything we end up doing involving aging in wooden barrels.

So that's the story.  Hopefully you like it and think it's "cool"... not "rad"... or whatever the kids are saying these days and, well, "get it".

No comments:

Post a Comment