Friday, November 13, 2009

Our New Favorite Beer? What the hell is Bavarian Wheat?

So, I've lived in Boston now since 2001. Brad got here in 2007. That's 8+ years for me and 2+ for Brad for a combined time of over a decade.

In that decade we have tried probably every beer manufactured in the General Massachusetts and Greater Boston Area between breweries, brewpubs, and craft brewers.

This week, Samuel Adams released their new Barrel Room Collection Beers, and yesterday I picked up the Stony Brook Red Ale and New World Tripel from Gordon's in Watertown (Shout out to Joe, the new beer guy if he ever sees this). The bottles were 11.99 apiece.

I have spent 12 dollars many times in my life. However... none of them have probably been this delicious. Sam Adams, our hats are off to you. We didn't know you had it in you, but I couldn't be prouder. The Barrel Room's Stony Brook Red is the best area beer that I have ever had, and that's not just some stupid superlative. In fact, we plan on making a trip to the brewery to try to buy as much as we can.

To Conclude:

Dear Boston/Massachusetts Breweries,

While Pretty Things held the title for the past few months, the new head of the pack for the area is Sam Adam's Stony Brook Red. Good luck to you all in surpassing the new leader, it's going to take some serious work, and I couldn't be happier to see you all try.

P.S. - Mayflower, your Thanksgiving Ale is absolutely awesome, and I only wish you had a few days to stand up top before Sam came along and beat you.

2 comments:

  1. shout returned. glad you enjoyed the SBR... looking forward to a bottle tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely let me know how that goes... great sourness that isn't too much and really great wine-like finish from the oak. thoroughly enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete